Introduction to rag rugs workshop 5 hr workshop
A great introduction to rag rug making covering traditional prodder and hook techniques
During the workshops you will create a small sampler and start working on a small item that can be turned into a cushion/ a bag/ wall hanging or anything you choose.
Or if you have some experience or want a refresher session we can plan a session to suit
This workshop is suitable for adults and teenagers at all levels of experience (please note that you will need to have good hand dexterity and strength as there is a lot of twisting and pulling and scissor movements)
What to expect at one of my workshops
We will cover all the basics needed to get you going including transferring a design, using the hook and prodder and the different stitches, how to start and finish, tensioning your work and selecting and preparing materials to use in your project.
You will taught the different techniques to get you started and to complete your work
What will be provided
- Hessian Fabric
- A selection of materials to experiment with, (please note that some of these include upcycled materials that have been washed).
- 1 American rag rug hook,
- 2 homemade peg prodder with a spare peg for you to make your own.
- Felt tip to draw your design on the hessian
- Paper and pencil
- Guide – with step-by-step instructions and photos showing you how to create a short or long loop or loose raggedy style stitch, using the prodder and the American hook, advice on selecting and preparing materials, designs to get you going, and the different ways to complete your project.
- Fabric edging tape or wide ribbon
- Fabric glue
- Needle and thread
Additional equipment that I will bring
- Fabric scissors, needles, and thread
- An embroidery ring
- Book references
- 1 attendee £150 per person
- 2 attendees £100 per person
- 3 or more attendees. £75 per person up to a maximum of 8 attendees
Venue -I only have room for one person to come to my home in Southampton Hampshire.
I am happy to travel up to 45 miles from my home
You will need to provide the venue if you wish more people to join you
We will need plenty of room to spread out, comfortable seating and tables open windows access to toilets etc
Travel distance – the fee includes up to 20 miles from Southampton Airport in Hampshire
if you wish me to travel further there will be an additional charge of 45 per mile for a distance up to 40 miles each way
Dates If you need the activity to take place on a specific date please contact me first to check my availability .